Displaying items by tag: newsletter
Wednesday, 29 January 2014 13:48

5 Quick Steps to Improve your E-Newsletter

Want some useful hints and tips on how to enhance your e-newsletter? Well read on…


Use a real ‘from’ address
Always, always, always use an address which will allow you to receive replies. This is vital as some of your subscribers may wish to comment on information they have read or could even have some questions they want to ask you.
A short and snappy introduction is key
Waffling on in your introduction simple means that the most important and relevant content is moving further and further down the page. Although introductions allow you to place your information in context and can work very well they should always be short and to the point. The best length is simply a couple of lines.
The ‘From’ section should include your company name
If the information in the ‘From’ section of your e-newsletter is not honest and clear, the more chance your email will simply be deleted, to avoid this from happening always include your company name.
Avoid attachments
A subscriber will not want to go through the hassle of downloading an attachment to figure out what the point of your email is. So, if you need to provide further information why not provide a link to a blog post or landing page? Sending attachments can also trigger spam filters meaning your subscriber won’t even receive the information you are sending out.
Don’t employ your email program and send out to ‘undisclosed-recipients’
Applying this method will simply make you look like an amateur and using your email program is guaranteed to highlight compatibility issues for example, it could look perfect in Hotmail, but a disaster in Outlook.
Employ an email service provider, such as Mail Magic, to send out your newsletter, or better still why not outsource it to us?!

Published in Design
Wednesday, 15 January 2014 14:06

Making friends and influencing others

It is somewhat obvious that every single time you send out an e-newsletter, it is an opportunity for you grow your subscriber database.
The most successful email marketers understand this and use it to their advantage and grow their prior permission database the new, fresh, interested contacts every time they email out.


How is this done?
Although the techniques are very simple they are very effective. Basically, the more interesting and relevant the content of your newsletter and email messages, the more effective the techniques listed below will become.


1. Take care of the dodgy Unsubscribe link
Some email spammers actually set up their unsubscribe links so that when a unsuspecting recipient clinks the link, they are submitting their email for more spamming rather than unsubscribing like they think they are.
Therefore, it is no surprise that some people distrust unsubscribe links and if your recipient wants to subscribe, but does not wish to use the link you have provided, it is logical to think that they will click the ‘junk’ button in their inbox (19% of email recipients click the ‘junk’ button believing this will unsubscribe them).
Being reported by ISP’s as ‘junk’ is something you really need to try and avoid as it can result in your email campaigns becoming blacklisted.
In order to overcome this problem simply follow step 2.


2. Win your recipients’ trust
The main way to influence the behavior of your recipients is to convince them you are a legitimate organisation by providing them with a credible and trustworthy ‘unsubscribe’ link.
Using Mail Magic allows you to customise your own unsubscribe page, allowing the recipient to clearly see it belongs to you as the sender and not some generic link which could go anywhere.
By branding your unsubscribe page you will give it both weight and credibility in the eyes of your recipients.
So, employ this technique and you will not only protect your credibility as an email sender but you will also preserve your deliverability rates.


Making friends
In order to grow your database with each email campaign you will need to prompt your current recipients to forward your information to their friends, colleagues and family members. Your information needs to go viral.
Such viral marketing has become big news on the internet over recent years with large high street brands employing it to circulate their special offers and promotions across the country, and the great thing it, it doesn’t incur any additional marketing costs.
So be sure to prompt this behavior from your current recipients by clearly having a ‘forward to friends’ option in all your email messages.
Another must it to have a clear ‘sigh-up’ link in your messages so that those who do receive your forwarded emails know exactly where they can sign up for future campaigns.


Yes, size does matter!
A recent study into the size of contact databases found that when an email marketing campaign is sent out to a contact list of 500-5,000, the average non-open rate is as high as 69%. That leaves an average open rate of just 31%.
The study then looked at campaigns which were sent out to a far smaller list of just 50-500 contacts. It was found that in these more targeted campaigns the non-open rate dropped to 61% meaning that the open rate increased by 8% to 39%.
From these results we can conclude that the smaller, more targeted, niche campaigns which contain more relevant content, rather than bulk information, are welcomed more by the recipients.
To check this theory a contact database of over 5,000 contacts was tested. The results found that the non-open rate rose to a high 74%, leaving a miniscule open rate of 26%. However, when the vast number of contacts is considered, an open rate of 26% should be celebrated.
Things to remember
So, the overall message is that it is not important to email both small and large volumes of recipients. What is important is that you need to consider and apply highly targeted information and messages to both large and small groups.
Segmenting your data, relevant and fresh content, dynamic subject lines should be carefully planned out every single time.

Published in Data